D.I.Y. Projects by AlliD.I.Y.

D.I.Y. Projects by AlliD.I.Y.

Friday, May 30, 2014

JUST LIKE NEW!

Well this is a story all about how this little chair came to my house
so I'd like to take a minute just sit right there I'll tell you how it became the chair at my table now.
 
 
These chairs were also given to me by my cousin from her Grandmothers home.
 
 
 Some were in better shape than others but all the lyres were splitting so unfortunately they were not able to be saved.
 
I began by removing all the seats and sanding them down to their bare nakedness.


Next I decided on a color to stain. I chose an espresso stain.
 


Now that the stain is on I needed to cut new seats. The originals were also in rough shape.
I bought two 2' x 2' boards from Lowes. Now because I do not have a saw and I would definitely be the one to cut their hands off, I also bought a hand saw to cut the seats. Yeah yeah, I know what your thinking. "No electric saw? What is she doing? Fullfilling her dream of being an Amish woodworker?" Trust me I would have rather had an electric saw but safety first! I know my limits.
 
I did feel the burn for days though!
 


Next it was time to upholster the seats. I bought some cushion foam from Hobby Lobby and traced the seat pattern and then cut it out.
 
 
I found some beautiful gray and white fabric at Joann's Fabric on the scrap shelf and there just happen to be enough for both seats!
 

 
I wouldn't be satisfied with just plain fabric though! I had to add a little AlliD.I.Y flair to the chair!
Sewing Chevron Layers!
 




Painting the inner sides of the legs and the carving in the back a Blue Steel color add that pop of color I love!
 

 
As you can see I plugged the hole where the lyre once was with a decorative iron door handle and added a little Blue Steel color to make it stand out!
 
 
After the stain was dry and I added a clear varnish to help protect the stain and wood.
The finished product?
Drum Roll...............
 
 
TA DA!!!
 




Enjoy and go CREATE something BEAUTIFUL!!!
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment